Monday, May 4, 2009

Family Night Lesson

For Family Home Evening last week, we did a lesson about tithing. Two Saturdays ago, Kaleb and Cambree had earned some money helping Grandpa, so Cory told them that they should pay tithing on it. Kaleb was not too keen on the idea of giving up his money, so we decided to use that for our FHE topic last Monday.



It says, "Food for Thought: You're not just giving the Lord 10 percent, He is giving you 90 percent."

I remembered this "Mormon Ad" so I called Cory at school and asked him to bring home a big piece of paper. I took our round pizza pan and traced two big circles and then made some crust on them. Then I brought the kids into the kitchen and asked them if they would use the markers and make 2 pizzas while I finished cooking dinner.

Of course they kept asking me why they were drawing pizzas, but I just told them it was for Family Night. For the lesson, I cut the pizzas into 10 pieces and then asked them if they would be willing to share their pizza with Heavenly Father. When they said "Yes," then I told them that all he wanted was just 1 piece and he wanted them to keep 9. Cambree said, "But I don't want to keep all this pizza, I want to share more of it." I got all teary eyed when she said that! I told her how proud I was of her. We tried to keep it as simple as possible and related it to 10 pennies, 10 dimes, etc. I feel like it went really well. Of course it was hard for them to get past Heavenly Father eating pizza, but I think they got the jist of it. ;)

4 comments:

Kellie said...

Cute idea!

megan said...

I love that! We have tried with money before but the just don't quite understand the concept yet. I might have to try this one. Thanks!

Chad and Angie Ivie said...

Great idea--I'll have to remember that one to use someday!

mommymelb said...

This is so cute! I love that Cambree wanted to share more!